POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Function-Based Shader Macro : Re: Function-Based Shader Macro Server Time
15 Aug 2024 02:32:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Function-Based Shader Macro
From: Dave Dunn
Date: 17 Aug 2002 10:47:56
Message: <3D5E61F0.618B8540@aol.com>
Elijah Sarver wrote:

> I too have been messing with custom 'shaders'..
>
> Is there any way to map specularity etc to a function? All of my
> attempts to do so so far have been met with error.

Hmm, hope this doesn't get too far off topic, but I believe there was a debate
a few months back on povray.general about the concept of finish maps. I don't
know what the technical limitations are on actually programming them into POV,
but it seems to make logical sense to have pigment/normal/finish all accept
the same patterns - this is especially useful for "cutaway," that is,
partially-transparent patterns. The conventional wisdom is to simply make a
texture map with various materials, but that is the hard way IMO.